Earnr AI, your new tax assistant, is here. Check it out now!
Stressed by tax?
Get Earnr Pro
Self employed

UTR for delivery riders

Some delivery riders may need to file a self assessment. To do this, they will need a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number. This must be applied for.
Earnr is the finance and tax companion for the self-employed and side hustlers. We give you more time to run your business. Download Earnr for free on iOS. Need tax advice now? Ask Earnr AI, our new AI tax assistant

A delivery rider that earns more than £1000 in a Tax Year could be required to submit a Self Assessment to HMRC. To do this, they will need a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number.

What is a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number?

A UTR number is a 10-digit code used by HMRC to identify individuals and companies for tax purposes. It can sometimes end in a k, which implies that the individual is filing a Self Assessment.

Once you have it, it stays with you for life.

When will I use a UTR number?

If you are a delivery rider who earns more than £1000, you will need to file a Self Assessment tax return regardless of whether it is your full-time job or a side hustle. A UTR number is also need by individuals who owe tax on savings interest, dividends, or Capital Gains, or if they are earning more than £100,000.

When submitting your Self Assessment tax return, it is essential to make sure you have entered your UTR number correctly. Entering the wrong UTR number is a common mistake that could result in a fine from HMRC if they think you're not taking enough care.

How do I register for a UTR number?

As a Self-employed individual, you have to self-register for one. You can do this through apps like Earnr or directly with HMRC. There are three ways to apply for your UTR number through HMRC: online, by phone, or by post. It is best to apply as early as possible as it can take up to 10 days to receive your number by post.

I have already registered before?

If you are not sure whether you have a UTR number or have lost it, you can call HMRC and provide your National Insurance number to retrieve it. You can also find it in your Government Gateway portal or on any correspondence you have received from HMRC.

Blog Home

Related blog posts

decorative image of a blog

Submit your 22/23 Tax Return Before January 31st

January 31st is the deadline for submitting 2022/23 tax returns. It's a good idea to complete your tax return ahead of this deadline to avoid mistakes and potential penalties. This article shows why its a good idea to submit your tax return early and how Earnr can help you if you are stuck.

Read more
decorative image of a blog

We asked Earnr AI why you should use Earnr…. here’s what it said…

We recently introduced our newest addition to the Earnr team; our AI chat bot, Earnr AI. In this article we put Earnr AI to the test and asked it why you should use Earnr as your tax companion, bookkeeping tool and tax return assistant. Read it's excellent response!

Read more
decorative image of a blog
December 20, 2023
Tax essentials

Why should you submit your tax return over the Christmas period?

The festive period is often thought of as the busiest time of the year with the run up to Christmas and New Year. Whilst this period can feel hectic at times, it can also be seen as the perfect time to complete your tax return. In this article we explain why this Christmas time is the best time to submit your 22/23 tax return.

Read more
Earnr logoDownload earnr