Earnr AI, your new tax assistant, is here. Check it out now!
Stressed by tax?
Get Earnr Pro
Self employed

UTR for side income earners

Side income earners create extra income for themselves alongside their main job. If they earn more than £1000 in a tax year, it is likely that they will need to submit a self assessment tax return. To do this, they will need a Unique Taxpayer Reference number. This can be applied for if they don't already have one, or they can find it in a variety of places.
Earnr is the finance and tax companion for the self-employed and side hustlers. We give you more time to run your business. Download Earnr for free on iOS. Need tax advice now? Ask Earnr AI, our new AI tax assistant

If you earn more than £1,000 from your side income, you probably will need to submit a Self Assessment tax return. To do this, you will need to have a Unique Taxpayer Reference Number (UTR).

What is a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number?

A Unique Taxpayer Reference number (UTR) is a 10-digit code used by HMRC to identify individuals and companies for tax purposes. Once you have it, it stays with you for life, just like your National Insurance number.

Why do you need a UTR number?

You will probably need a UTR number if you are Self-employed or a Sole Trader, or if you have set up a Limited Company. You will also probably need it if you owe tax on Capital Gains, dividends, or savings interest, or if you earn more than £100,000 a year.

Getting a UTR number is easy, but you have to self-register for one as you're not automatically given one. There are two ways to do this: through apps like Earnr, or through HMRC. If you choose to apply through HMRC, you can do it online, over the phone, or by post.

It's important to note that it takes 10 days to receive your UTR number through the post, so the sooner you apply, the better. If you're working abroad, it takes 21 days.

Do I already have a UTR number? What do I do if I have lost it?

If you're not sure if you have a UTR number, or you've lost it, you can contact HMRC on 0300 200 3310, but make sure to have your National Insurance number ready to hand. Your UTR number should also be in your Government Gateway portal, or you can check any correspondence you've received from HMRC. For example, your tax return should show the number distinctly in the top left corner.

Blog Home

Related blog posts

decorative image of a blog

Submit your 22/23 Tax Return Before January 31st

January 31st is the deadline for submitting 2022/23 tax returns. It's a good idea to complete your tax return ahead of this deadline to avoid mistakes and potential penalties. This article shows why its a good idea to submit your tax return early and how Earnr can help you if you are stuck.

Read more
decorative image of a blog

We asked Earnr AI why you should use Earnr…. here’s what it said…

We recently introduced our newest addition to the Earnr team; our AI chat bot, Earnr AI. In this article we put Earnr AI to the test and asked it why you should use Earnr as your tax companion, bookkeeping tool and tax return assistant. Read it's excellent response!

Read more
decorative image of a blog
December 20, 2023
Tax essentials

Why should you submit your tax return over the Christmas period?

The festive period is often thought of as the busiest time of the year with the run up to Christmas and New Year. Whilst this period can feel hectic at times, it can also be seen as the perfect time to complete your tax return. In this article we explain why this Christmas time is the best time to submit your 22/23 tax return.

Read more
Earnr logoDownload earnr