Earnr AI, your new tax assistant, is here. Check it out now!
Stressed by tax?
Get Earnr Pro
September 8, 2022
September 8, 2022
Self employed

How can I get a CIS tax rebate?

Mo Halabi
Mo Halabi
If you’re a CIS worker, you’ll be probably entitled to receive a tax rebate. Here's how you can claim it.
Earnr is the finance and tax companion for the self-employed and side hustlers. We give you more time to run your business. Download Earnr for free on iOS. Need tax advice now? Ask Earnr AI, our new AI tax assistant

If you’re a CIS worker, you’ll be probably entitled to receive a tax rebate after submitting your Self-Assessment tax return. This is because it’s very likely you overpaid your tax bill throughout the year.

The reason for this is that, under the CIS, HMRC requires construction companies to monthly deduct tax on behalf of their workers (subcontractors), specifically 20% for registered subcontractors and 30% for unregistered ones, as advance payments toward tax and National Insurance.

The good news is you can claim and get a tax rebate, here’s how…

How to claim a CIS tax return?

As a CIS worker, you’re considered as sole trader. This means that you run your own business as an individual, your personal and commercial incomes are considered one and the same.

As such, everything you need to do to claim a tax rebate is complete your Self-Assessment tax return, reporting as income the full amounts on your invoices and any deductions made by the contractor under the section “CIS deductions”. Once received, HMRC will calculate your tax and National Insurance, deducting any advanced payments made by the contractor. If what you already paid is too much, then HMRC will refund you.

The amount of money you’ll receive back mainly depends on your earnings and expenses. However, on average, construction workers claim back around £2000.

Read more about Self Assessment here

How can I make this whole process easier?

HMRC doesn't make things very easy to understand, especially if you're busy enough with work and social life! Using an app like Earnr can make it easier to stay on top of your income and tax return before the deadline.

Learn more and download Earnr here.

Blog Home

Related blog posts

decorative image of a blog

Submit your 22/23 Tax Return Before January 31st

January 31st is the deadline for submitting 2022/23 tax returns. It's a good idea to complete your tax return ahead of this deadline to avoid mistakes and potential penalties. This article shows why its a good idea to submit your tax return early and how Earnr can help you if you are stuck.

Read more
decorative image of a blog

We asked Earnr AI why you should use Earnr…. here’s what it said…

We recently introduced our newest addition to the Earnr team; our AI chat bot, Earnr AI. In this article we put Earnr AI to the test and asked it why you should use Earnr as your tax companion, bookkeeping tool and tax return assistant. Read it's excellent response!

Read more
decorative image of a blog
December 20, 2023
Tax essentials

Why should you submit your tax return over the Christmas period?

The festive period is often thought of as the busiest time of the year with the run up to Christmas and New Year. Whilst this period can feel hectic at times, it can also be seen as the perfect time to complete your tax return. In this article we explain why this Christmas time is the best time to submit your 22/23 tax return.

Read more
Earnr logoDownload earnr