Stressed by tax?
Get Earnr Pro
September 8, 2022
September 8, 2022
Self employed

UTR Number for CIS: everything you need to know

Mo Halabi
Mo Halabi
If you want to apply for CIS or work as a subcontractor in the construction industry, you’ll need a UTR number. Here's everything you need to know about it.
Earnr is the finance and tax companion for the self-employed and side hustlers. We give you more time to run your business. Download Earnr for free on iOS.

The Construction Industry Scheme (CIS) is used by HMRC to collect income tax throughout the year from people working in the construction industry.

Construction companies deduct tax on behalf of their workers (subcontractors) and send the money to HMRC as tax payments:

Note that CIS only applies if you work in construction as a subcontractor and you have registered for CIS.

To register, you need to provide HRMC with different information, such as your legal business name (or trading name if it differs from your business name), your National Insurance Number, your VAT registration number (only if you’re VAT registered), and, lastly, your UTR number.

In this post, we’ll cover what a UTR number is, how you ask for one, and how long it takes to receive it.

What is a Unique Taxpayer Reference Number (UTR)?

A Unique Taxpayer Reference number is a code used by HMRC to identify self-employed people and their companies for tax purposes.

Often referred to as a UTR number, this number gives HMRC an easy way to track your tax obligations and match your records to payments.

Just like your National Insurance, once you have this number it stays with you for life.

And if you’re trying to find it, your UTR number has 10 digits and sometimes has a ‘K’ at the end. It can be labeled as your tax reference number or ‘official use’, so keep an eye out for those.

Do I need a UTR Number?

If you want to apply for CIS or work as a subcontractor in the construction industry, you’ll need a UTR number, as it’s one of the information required by HRMC for registration.

Moreover, like any other self-employed person, you’ll need a UTR number to submit a self-assessment tax return. The only difference for you is that you need to let HMRC know that you’re a construction worker registering for CIS.

When providing your UTR number, make sure you insert it correctly. Entering the wrong UTR number is one of the most common mistakes made each year and can actually get you a fine if HMRC doesn’t think you’re taking enough care.‍

How do I get a UTR number and how long does it take to receive it?

For construction workers, you have to self-register for a UTR number as you’re not automatically given one.

Before starting your application make sure you have all the following information:

There’re two ways you can do this:

  1. Through apps like Earnr.
  2. Through HMRC.

Both these options are free. Although doing it in the Earnr app keeps it all in one place with your business transactions and income.

When applying through HMRC there’re three ways you can apply for your UTR number:

Pay As You Earn and Self-Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, United Kingdom, BX9 1AS

Post is likely to take a while as there’ll be some back and forth with more requests for information and proof of identity.

An important thing to remember is that it takes 10 days to receive your number as HMRC sends it by post, so the sooner you apply the better! If you’re working abroad then it takes 21 days.

How can I find my UTR number?

If you’re not sure if you have one or have lost it then give HMRC a ring on 0300 200 3310. Just make sure to have your National Insurance number ready to hand.

The number should also be in your Government Gateway portal in the top right-hand corner of your account summary.

Otherwise, you can check any correspondence you've received from HMRC. Your tax return should show the number distinctly in the top left corner and appear: UTR  1234567891.

Blog Home

Related blog posts

decorative image of a blog

What is IR35 and do I need to worry about it?

There are loads of different tax laws in the United Kingdom. IR35 is very important to freelancers and contractors but can be a little confusing. Here, we explain simply what IR35 is and who it can affect.

Read more
decorative image of a blog

Flat rates for mileage vs actual expenses. What is better?

Self-employed individuals can use two different methods to expense business vehicle costs. Here, we investigate the positive and negatives for both methods and which one might be right for you.

Read more
decorative image of a blog

What is the EIS and how does it work?

If you are looking to invest in small and medium sized businesses, the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) provides lots of tax reliefs for doing so. Here we discuss what it is and how it works.

Read more
Earnr logoDownload earnr