6 April 2022 marks the start of the new tax year! We're offering 50% off per tax return throughout April 2022. Claim today, submit tomorrow!
April 4, 2022
April 4, 2022
Tax essentials

What is a Unique Taxpayer Reference Number (UTR)?

If you’re self-employed or side-hustling and doing your taxes, you’ll need to know about your Unique Taxpayer Reference Number, or UTR. Here’s everything you need to know.

What is a Unique Taxpayer Reference Number (UTR) ?

A Unique Taxpayer Reference number is a code used by HMRC to identify self-employed people and their companies for tax purposes. 

Often referred to as a UTR number, this number gives HMRC an easy way to track your tax obligations and match your records to payments. 

Just like your National Insurance, once you have this number it stays with you for life. 

And if you’re trying to find it, your UTR number has 10 digits and sometimes has a ‘K’ at the end. It can be labelled as your tax reference’ number or ‘official use’, so keep an eye out for those.

Do I need a UTR Number?

You’ll need a UTR number if you submit a self-assessment tax return. 

And if you submit a self-assessment tax return it’ll be because

If you’re in the side-hustle game and you earn over £1,000 from it then you’ll need to do a self-assessment tax return all the same. This includes anything from pet walking to upcycling clothes. 

When you’re submitting a self-assessment tax return it’s worth making sure you’ve definitely put the number in correctly. Entering the wrong UTR number is one of the most common mistakes made each year and can actually get you a fine if HMRC don’t think you’re taking enough care. 

How do I get a UTR number?

For the self-employed, you have to self-register for a UTR number as you’re not automatically given one. 

There’s two ways you can do this:

  1. Through apps like Earnr.
  2. Through HMRC.

Both these options are free. Although doing it in the Earnr app it keeps it all in one place with your business transactions and income. 

When applying through HMRC there’s three ways you can apply for your UTR number: 

Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment, HM Revenue and Customs, United Kingdom, BX9 1AS

Post is likely to take a while as there’ll be some back and forth with more requests for information and proof of identity. 

An important thing to remember is that it takes 10 days to receive your number as HMRC send it by post, so the sooner you apply the better! If you’re working abroad then it takes 21 days. 

What information do I need to get a UTR number?

There are a few bits and pieces you need in order to receive your UTR number. 

You’ll need all of these:

And if you’re a limited company you’ll also need these:

Who should I share my UTR number with?

Again, like your National Insurance number, your UTR number is a pretty confidential set of digits, unique to you. 

It’s unlikely you’ll need to share this number with anyone other than HMRC. The exception being if you have an accountant or an app like Earnr doing your tax returns on your behalf. 

Occasionally if you’re working as a sub-contractor, the contractor will need a couple of details to verify you, including your UTR number. 

Otherwise there aren’t really any other reasons to share, so do be wary if someone ever asks you for it. 

How can I find my UTR number?

If you’re not sure if you have one, or have lost it then give HMRC a ring on 0300 200 3310. Just make sure to have your National Insurance number ready to hand.

The number should also be in your Government Gateway portal in the top right-hand corner of your account summary. 

Otherwise you can check any correspondence you've received from HMRC. Your tax return should show the number distinctly in the top left corner and appear: UTR  1234567891. 

What if I’m working in a partnership or start a limited company?

This can sound like a scarily complicated process but remember
Earnr automates your tax return in minutes and gets your details set up as you go. You can visit the app store to get started today!

Blog Home

Related blog posts

An OnlyFans Creator Guide to Tax
May 10, 2022
Tax essentials

An OnlyFans Creator Guide to Tax

Here’s the full tax guide to one of the fastest growing freelance roles out there: OnlyFans. We cover how OnlyFans creators can earn, what they can expense and how much they need to pay in tax. 

Read more
Do I have to I have pay tax on crypto?
April 18, 2022
Tax essentials

Do I have to I have pay tax on crypto?

Making a buck in the world of crypto? If you’re transferring crypto to cash you’ll need to pay tax on it. Here’s what you need to know about how crypto gets taxed, and how to pay it. 

Read more
Everything you need to know about your 21/22 Self Assessment tax return
March 24, 2022
Tax essentials

Everything you need to know about your 21/22 Self Assessment tax return

Think you might need to submit a Self Assessment tax return? Read our guide to learn what you need to do, when you need to do it by and how to submit a tax return (with ease!).

Read more
Download earnr