Stressed by tax?
Get Earnr Pro

What should I do if I lose my P60 or P45?

There's no need to worry if you lose your P60 or P45. We walk through what the forms mean and what to do if they are mislaid.
Earnr is the finance and tax companion for the self-employed and side hustlers. We give you more time to run your business. Download Earnr for free on iOS.

Did you lose your P60 or your P45? It's actually way more common than you might have thought and easy to resolve. We'll talk through which forms you need and where to find them.

What is a P45 and a P60?

P45 and P60 are pay-as-you-earn (PAYE) forms. They are forms that employers give employees, which contain your income and tax information. This includes Income Tax and National Insurance contributions that you’ve paid over the year.

The 4 parts to a P45

Are P45 and P60 different?

They are indeed, this is how they differ:


You are given your P60 at the end of every year by your employer. It summarises your overall pay for the year and how much tax you’ve paid on your salary during the tax year. It is important to keep your P60 in a safe place as you’ll probably need it when claiming back tax credits or as proof of income for mortgages and loans.


You receive a P45 from your employer when you leave your job, which they are required to do by law.  Now, this is another document you should take good care of.

A P45 summarises your income and tax payments so far in the year, and states your tax code. This is important for your next employer to know. There are 4 parts to a P45, so it would be good to familiarise yourself with what they are and where they go.

I’ve lost my P45/P60… is that a problem?

If you lose or don’t have your P45 or your P60, don’t worry. It can be a pain, and we’ve all been there, but there are a few things you can do.

I’ve lost my P60

If you can’t find your P60, don’t stress! You can always ask your current employer for another copy. They are required to keep these on record for three years, so it’s always worth asking. HMRC aren’t able to provide a replacement copy but you can:

I’ve lost my P45

As we said, your P45 is given to you by your employer when you leave a job to make sure you’re out on the right tax code for your new job. Again, HMRC do not provide replacement copies if you lose your P45. Don’t panic, there’s another way! Your new employer will ask you to fill in a new ‘Starter Checklist’ form, which will calculate what tax code you should be on.

Can we help?

Still not sure what to do if you lose your P60 or P45? If you’re trying to sort out your taxes and need help understanding your P60/P45, don’t hesitate to get in touch! You can reach us through the in-app chat function in the app or you can email us at [email protected].

Blog Home

Related blog posts

decorative image of a blog

What is IR35 and do I need to worry about it?

There are loads of different tax laws in the United Kingdom. IR35 is very important to freelancers and contractors but can be a little confusing. Here, we explain simply what IR35 is and who it can affect.

Read more
decorative image of a blog

Flat rates for mileage vs actual expenses. What is better?

Self-employed individuals can use two different methods to expense business vehicle costs. Here, we investigate the positive and negatives for both methods and which one might be right for you.

Read more
decorative image of a blog

What is the EIS and how does it work?

If you are looking to invest in small and medium sized businesses, the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) provides lots of tax reliefs for doing so. Here we discuss what it is and how it works.

Read more
Earnr logoDownload earnr