Earnr AI, your new tax assistant, is here. Check it out now!
Stressed by tax?
Get Earnr Pro

Double Taxation Agreement

[ˈdʌbᵊl tækˈseɪʃᵊn əˈɡriːmənt]



A Double Taxation Agreement is signed between two countries to try and avoid the same income being taxed twice. It exists to help promote international trade.

More detail:

A Double Taxation Agreement is a treaty between two countries which aims to avoid the taxation of the same income twice. It exists in hope of encouraging international trade and investment. It also aims to provide transparency for taxpayers with complicated tax structures.

If a Double Taxation Agreement exists between the UK and another country, it is possible to claim back the foreign income tax incurred on foreign income as a tax relief for your Self Assessment in the UK.

If you are not a UK resident but earn UK income, you will still have to file a Self Assessment but a Double Taxation Agreement should allow you claim back this tax in your country of residence.

Back to Taxionary

You might also like...

decorative image for a blog

Submit your 22/23 Tax Return Before January 31st

January 31st is the deadline for submitting 2022/23 tax returns. It's a good idea to complete your tax return ahead of this deadline to avoid mistakes and potential penalties. This article shows why its a good idea to submit your tax return early and how Earnr can help you if you are stuck.

Read more
decorative image for a blog

We asked Earnr AI why you should use Earnr…. here’s what it said…

We recently introduced our newest addition to the Earnr team; our AI chat bot, Earnr AI. In this article we put Earnr AI to the test and asked it why you should use Earnr as your tax companion, bookkeeping tool and tax return assistant. Read it's excellent response!

Read more
decorative image for a blog
December 20, 2023
Tax essentials

Why should you submit your tax return over the Christmas period?

The festive period is often thought of as the busiest time of the year with the run up to Christmas and New Year. Whilst this period can feel hectic at times, it can also be seen as the perfect time to complete your tax return. In this article we explain why this Christmas time is the best time to submit your 22/23 tax return.

Read more
Earnr logoDownload earnr