Stressed by tax?
Get Earnr Pro
June 20, 2022
June 20, 2022
Tax essentials

How do I register as self-employed?

Desiree Weimann
Desiree Weimann
If you started working for yourself, then you need to register as self-employed with the HMRC. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to register!
Earnr is the finance and tax companion for the self-employed and side hustlers. We give you more time to run your business. Download Earnr for free on iOS or Android.

If you started working for yourself, then you need to register as self-employed with the HMRC.

The good news:

Is it your first time registering as self-employed?

  1. Create a HMRC online account
  2. You’ll receive a user ID
  3. At this stage, you can skip out steps 4-10 by using Earnr. Simply select register in the tax section of the app or complete our online form here.

    Alternatively, you can log back into the HMRC online account, select “add a tax”, and then “Self Assessment”. Follow steps 4-10.
  4. Select “Sole Trader” from the options: individual, sole trader, partnership, or trust
  5. Enter the date you started your self-employment
  6. Submit more details, including your National Insurance Number
  7. Describe the work you do: “security guard”, “Uber driver”, “freelance designer”, etc
  8. Review and click “submit”
  9. You’ll get a letter with your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number by post
  10. You’ll also receive another letter within 10 working days with an activation code. You’ll need this code to activate your UTR (you will not need to do this if you register with Earnr)

If you’ve sent a tax return before

The process is similar, but instead you will use the online CWF1 form.

Just use the same UTR number and HMRC login as last time.

If you work in the construction industry (CIS)

HMRC treats subcontractors working in construction (builders, painters, carpenters, etc.) differently.

Let HMRC know if you’re a construction worker and register for the Construction Industry Scheme (CIS).

After you’ve registered

For more details, check out our for self-employed registering for Self Assessment.

You might also want to understand how Payment on Account works — your first tax payment will be 50% larger than you expect.

Blog Home

Related blog posts

decorative image of a blog

What is IR35 and do I need to worry about it?

There are loads of different tax laws in the United Kingdom. IR35 is very important to freelancers and contractors but can be a little confusing. Here, we explain simply what IR35 is and who it can affect.

Read more
decorative image of a blog

Flat rates for mileage vs actual expenses. What is better?

Self-employed individuals can use two different methods to expense business vehicle costs. Here, we investigate the positive and negatives for both methods and which one might be right for you.

Read more
decorative image of a blog

What is the EIS and how does it work?

If you are looking to invest in small and medium sized businesses, the Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) provides lots of tax reliefs for doing so. Here we discuss what it is and how it works.

Read more
Earnr logoDownload earnr