Earnr AI, your new tax assistant, is here. Check it out now!
Stressed by tax?
Get Earnr Pro

Foreign Tax Credit Relief

[ˈfɒrɪn tæks ˈkrɛdɪt rɪˈliːf]



Foreign Tax Credit Relief gives taxpayers a way to claim relief on tax on foreign income that has already been taxed in the foreign country.

More detail:

Foreign Tax Credit Relief allows taxpayers to reduce their tax liability on foreign income by claiming tax-relief on the foreign taxes that you have already paid for that income. It exists to allow taxpayers to avoid being taxed twice on the same income.

The existence and terms of a Double Taxation Agreement between the UK and the home of the foreign income will determine how much relief you will receive. It is still possible to receive some relief even without the existence of a Double Taxation Agreement, unless the foreign tax does not correspond to UK Income Tax or Capital Gains tax. If that is the case, tax will have to be paid in full twice.

The rules are different for individuals who are Non-domiciled.

Back to Taxionary

You might also like...

decorative image for a blog

Submit your 22/23 Tax Return Before January 31st

January 31st is the deadline for submitting 2022/23 tax returns. It's a good idea to complete your tax return ahead of this deadline to avoid mistakes and potential penalties. This article shows why its a good idea to submit your tax return early and how Earnr can help you if you are stuck.

Read more
decorative image for a blog

We asked Earnr AI why you should use Earnr…. here’s what it said…

We recently introduced our newest addition to the Earnr team; our AI chat bot, Earnr AI. In this article we put Earnr AI to the test and asked it why you should use Earnr as your tax companion, bookkeeping tool and tax return assistant. Read it's excellent response!

Read more
decorative image for a blog
December 20, 2023
Tax essentials

Why should you submit your tax return over the Christmas period?

The festive period is often thought of as the busiest time of the year with the run up to Christmas and New Year. Whilst this period can feel hectic at times, it can also be seen as the perfect time to complete your tax return. In this article we explain why this Christmas time is the best time to submit your 22/23 tax return.

Read more
Earnr logoDownload earnr